Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Unit Reading Assignments
Review the instructions below in order to complete your reading assignments for the semester. Please contact Ms. Oliver, your instructor, with any questions.
Use the rest of the guide to help you find required articles and understand course topics!
Unit Reading Assignment Instructions:
Each unit will have 2 reading assignments and a class discussion of your readings. You'll be graded for the reading summaries and the class discussion. Each reading summary is worth 10 points for a total of 120 points. Each discussion is worth 10 points for a total of 80 points.
Written summaries are due date is on the syllabus and should be placed in your student folder under the reading summaries folder in the correct unit folder.
Using the resources provided in this guide, you'll find and read 2 articles, per unit, and write a one page summary per article. The summary needs to include proper citations for each article.
- Must have been written in the last 2 years.
- Must be from a scholarly or professional source.
- Must be at least 2 pages in length.
- Must be properly cited in APA format.
- Article summaries must be completed prior to class discussion.
- Be prepared to discuss both your articles during the same class.
- Have posted links on blackboard discussion to your articles.
- Place all written summaries on the Q drive in your student folder under the readings folder.
- Make sure your citations are on each summary.
- Name your reading assignments with your first initial and last name, and unit name, and article number. Sample: “jDoe_UAS_article1”.
Unit Reading Topics
Unit 1 - Geospatial Technologies
- Article 1 needs to specifically be about "Geospatial Technologies" and what it is. This article should have this term in it and make reference to multiple geospatial technologies like GIS, GPS, UAS, Remote Sensing, etc..
- Article 2 needs to be on the appropriate use of projection in mapping. This can be related to paper or web mapping. Hint: project use is different on paper maps than web maps.
Unit 2 - GIS
- Article 3 needs to cover how GIS data or applications have been or are being used to understand or solve a problem at the community level.
- Article 4 should be about how a GIS has been used for marketing purposes. This can cover thematic mapping or any specific cartographic design.
Unit 3 - Remote Sensing.
- Article 5 needs to cover the use of Lansat 8 imagery used for remote sensing.
- Article 6 needs to be about how a specific field or industry is using remote sensing.
Unit 4 – GPS/UAS
- Article 7 will cover how an industry is utilizing UAS to collect spatial data.
- Article 8 will be about how any private industry is using GPS data.
Unit 5 - Web/Mobile Apps for GIS
- Article 9 should cover any aspect of spatial data being used, designed, and displayed, etc.. for mobile applications.
- Article 10 needs to cover tools that allow interaction with spatial data in web applications.
Unit 6 - AR/VR
- Article 11 needs to cover how spatial data is being used in or with augmented reality technologies.
- Article 12 needs to cover how spatial data is being used in or with virtual reality technologies.